Surprising Health Benefits of Eating Clover Honey
Are you a fan of honey on your toast in the mornings? Or perhaps you like it drizzled over goat’s cheese? However you like to eat your honey, you might not have yet explored the world of clover honey. Read on to find out all about clover honey, our recipe ideas, the health benefits to be found when eating it, and the honey we have on offer.
What is Clover Honey?
Clover honey is derived from the nectar of the clover plant, collected by honey bees. You can spot it because it will be light colored and very mild. The clarity of the honey will show you its purity; the best honey should be as clear as possible.
How Should I Eat It?
Clover honey is an incredibly versatile ingredient. Below are just some of the ways you might want to use it in the kitchen.
- Try swapping honey for sugar when baking. As a general rule, for every 1 cup of sugar, substitute ½ to 2/3 cup of honey. You should also reduce the liquid in the recipe by ¼ cup and add ½ teaspoon of baking soda for each cup of honey used. Reduce the temperature of your oven by 25°F, as honey will become crisp and brown faster than sugar.
- Sweeten your tea with honey and enjoy a sweeter taste with lower calories.
- Drizzle clover honey over granola for a sweeter breakfast.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of clover honey, the zest of 1 orange and 2 cloves of garlic. Brush onto a cooked rack of lamb for a slightly floral twist.
- Make a pure honey and mustard dressing for your favourite salad.
- Add clover honey to yoghurt for a delicious breakfast or dessert.
- Spread on toast or a bagel.
- Serve clover honey alongside a cheeseboard at your next dinner party. Check out some of our favourite cheese collections here.
- Pour a little honey over your favourite popcorn for a stick treat.
- Add clover honey to your next stir fry along with soy sauce and a chilli kick.
What Are the Benefits?
Fat-free and cholesterol free, clover honey has been found to contain vitamins and minerals that can reduce the risk of illness. Honey is 25% sweeter than table sugar, whilst being an all-natural sweetener. It is a source of flavonoids, which may reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. It’s also the only food that contains the antioxidant pinocembrin, which has been linked to improved brain function. This isn’t just clover honey, it’s clever honey!
Where Can I Buy It?
Right here at Shisler’s Cheese House!
We carry two types of pure clover honey. Tonn’s Pure Clover Honey is a very versatile honey that can be used in baking, cooking, and at the table. If you are looking for honey straight from the hive to your table, you will find it in Tonn’s Pure Clover Honey Comb. The raw honey found inside is brimming with health benefits and will make a stunning centrepiece for a celebration breakfast.
Pick up some pure clover honey today and try it out in your favorite recipes.